Wednesday, November 09, 2011

in which we revisit the big ass granny square

It's wip it wednesday,  crochet edition. Remember my bigass granny square from last winter,  put aside when working on it's enormous woolly/alpaca self was suffocating?
0063_GZucker1111famvar 
It's almost done. I stalled on the edging.  Did I want a kind of fancier crochet stitch for the final round? Shells ? Fringe? Corkscrews? A ruffle maybe? What about colors? Too light will get dirty and frame it too much. Too dark will be too dark.  Overthink much? 
0067_GZucker1111famvar 
When I spread it out on the old picnic table, I'd forgotten it's Bobo's perch for Keeping The Yard Squirrel Free. He was on it in a split second, scanning the treetops.
0076_GZucker1111famvar 
  I decided this didn't need anything fancier than a round of double crochet in every stitch followed by a round of single crochet, same way. For colors, I went to my fallback position of local colors.
0090_GZucker1111famvar 
The orangey/rust round was almost done when I noticed I'd done the first two sides in double crochet, then absent mindedly continued 1.5 more sides in single crochet. Glad crochet unzips out fast. 
0088_GZucker1111famvar 
I don't mind this not being done yet, it's just plain old fun & so quickly gratifying . And it's already been put to work for warmth. When camping up at Fiber College, I woke up the first night FREEZING. I didn't have warm enough bedding in my tent.  I did have an almost finished BigAss Granny Square. Slept with it on me, nice and toasty, crochet hook and all for the following 2 nights. 
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 
You can find more wip wednesdays over on this blog.  Oooh, I almost forgot. Need an idea for some wips, yerself?
LOVE Anna Kuo Lukito's new design, Anacortes (Ravelry) or from her site, Crafty Diversions.

9 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

The "Square" is incredibly fabulous!!! LOVE all the colors you used, Gale.

Kay said...

Love the Squirrel Tower. There should be a Squirrel Tower in Central Park.

Great blankie, and who hasn't slept with something that still has a needle or two in it?

heather said...

Gorgeous blanket...really like the edging you're doing as it doesn't take away from the blanket. Also love your photography assistant/model!

Marla McLean, Atelierista said...

Oooh, love this blanket. I'll skip my present from you this season if you will make me one for next year!
One less thing to make for the holidays this year, just sayin'...

Jan Cooper said...

What a beautiful afgan! And now that it's been fiber college tested and Bobo approved, you know it's a prize winner!

Also, meant to say the other day that I appreciated your posting the link to your appearance on tv. What a great collection of projects you have to show from the book!

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

Your granny is fabulous! (and that dog of yours must be endlessly entertaining)

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Love the colors! My cat has a similarly serious expression when he is Keeping the Hallway Waterbug Free.

Affiknitty said...

I bet Bobo does an excellent job Keeping the Yard Squirrel Free! The blanket is beautiful too.

twinsetellen said...

Bobo looks really great on those colors. And you hit it exactly right on the edging - fringes or corkscrews or whatever would have been too much, taking away from the essence that is B.A.G.S.