Monday, April 10, 2017

two color brioche knitting



Soo...we last left me granny square in hand, a distraction/obsession that continued right up to my teaching gig at Mohonk Mountain House.  The trance was broken when Kirsten mentioned she had a very large brioche class the next morning, and I offered to be her guinea pig, for a 2 color brioche lesson.
My last brioche project was one color, flat, a few years back, and did not leave me with a love for the stitch. You can see it  here.  In truth, brioche is  a beautifully rhythmic stitch. But its structure is different enough from stockinette that it requires some brain stretching. And this time I had a private lesson from an excellent teacher....
But, maybe a brioche lesson at midnight with a glass of sherry isn't the smartest way to learn ? I went to bed after totally messing it up, then  woke up the next morning determined to cast on and prove I'm not an idiot.  Conveniently, Jill Draper was vending yarn. She picked out this  duo of Windham  for me. I adore her color sense. I mean, that light mushroomy color that I love looks bad on me, except when entwined with her rosier pink hue.
Once under control, this brioche  two color in the round gallops along pretty quickly, looks amazing and has a fabulous squooshiness and depth. Now I get the popularity.  I wouldn't categorize two color brioche as Drop Dead Easy but it is addictive.  Two weeks later, I was cruising along, adding switched MC/CC sections. I was planning to make it extravagantly tall, when my mom saw it and fell for it hard. She said she owns no cowls and has never knit brioche herself. Despite living  in Maryland, where she will not need a cowl till next December, this is going to be her Mothers Day present. I cast off at a height  that'll still be tons of volume on a petite older lady.  I'm thrilled, it's an honor to have a knitting request from an expert knitter. It's now the best part of the project!
And second best part...? I have enough Windham left to make one for myself, as well.

I'll tell you more about the granny square situation, another day.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Your cowl looks like the perfect introduction to two color brioche. I was hoping the reference to 'Drop Dead Easy Knits' (in my library) was a hint, but no. Is this a pattern or were you winging it?

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Linda- I was winging it. I started with the pattern Kirsten handed out to those taking her class at Mohonk Knitting Weekend. If you see her teaching brioche anywhere near, sign up. She is a really excellent teacher!
If not, her Wave Hill cowl looks like a good option http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wave-hill-cowl (although I wouldn't recommend cashmere lace right out of the gate)

AsKatKnits said...

Gorgeous colors! Brioche, guess I need to try two color because one color was meh - I agree.

Kym said...

Gotta be truthful here . . . brioche projects tend to leave me kind of cold. UNTIL NOW! That is just gorgeous! I love the color combo -- and it seems like just the right amount of brioche. (Too much brioche in one place is just . . . not my thing.) I'm tempted to try it now. Color me . . . inspired!

Beverly said...

You're tempting me to learn a new skill!!!

Mary Lou said...

So pretty in pink.

cal said...

sooooo pretty! i have been summoning my courage to try a 2-color brioche project for YEARS since falling hard for everything Stephen West has ever made. but i have yet to try. this looks like a very reasonable and approachable intro project! i wish i'd been able to join Kirsten's class... perhaps we can convince her to publish it as a beginner brioche pattern sometime soon!

Vicki Knitorious said...

That color combo is amazing!!