Tuesday, February 06, 2007

v2 debuts

v2sqWhen I stopped by the yarn shop to get some Noro Silk Garden for my second Calorimetry, there sat the sales person knitting the exact same thing, with the exact same yarn. She was re-knitting it for the third time. It was the too large problem. She showed me store samples she'd made using the recommended yarn - and she's a tightish knitter- and we agreed the pattern model must have been tall and melon-headed (in an attractive and proportionate way I mean) 'cause they were big.

Her third attempt was on size 5us needles with the full 120 stitch count, and it was looking nice and neat. She persuaded me to go down to size 6, I knit on the loose side so I went for 88 stitches.
v2side
I short row decreased until there were 34 stitches on either end outside the markers,and 22 stitches between them. I should have made it narrower but honestly, it's been a while since I knit any Noro . I was so into the color changes I couldn't stop. This is great for those of us with cold heads and behaviourly challenged hair. Did I mention immediate gratification ? And way less than a skein was used. I could cast on another one right now.

For those of you keeping track on your tally cards, here's the comparison, heavier worsted on size 8 needles us in green, lighter worsted on size 6 on top:
compare

Side benefit, I opened my button tin for the first time in ages.buttontin Dontcha love a visit to the old button tin?

I think we can all agree this size, yarn weight and color is better than v1. If "we all" does not include the 13 yo, who still thinks it's a weird look. I told him not to worry. It's my aim to make a different color one for every day of the week.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, that's the first one I've seen that really makes me want to knit that pattern ! It's fab !

Anonymous said...

Love!

Just be honest. That model must have a big head. It's not like it's her fault or anything. Trust me... a big head just happens. I know. I've got one. :?

Carole Knits said...

I really do want to make one of these. Seems like downsizing is a smart idea.

Scoutj said...

Loverly!!!

textilejunkie said...

You lost me at the button tin - now that is a work of art:) It looks great - I may have to make me one of these yet.

Anonymous said...

I really like the smaller one. Hmmm I think I have a skein of silk garden up there somewhere. And I really love the photos.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, and looks so practical. I'm putting several things aside to make one right now. We can't seem to break out of horribly cold weather where I am and my ears need warming! (I can't stand hats and neither can my hair.)

Mia said...

I am knitting my fourth one. My first one was in Noro Kuyeron and it is loose but I have a friend with lots and lots of hair. The others I have knit on a smaller needle. But how did you bind off? Straight knit or in pattern? Mine flare on the bind off edge.