Thursday, January 02, 2020

3 things for a new year

1) Blogging, I've missed you!  Start as you mean to go on, etc!   This is a favorite image from last year, from a Berroco yarn photoshoot for Providence yarn, a tweedy soft wool/alpaca/silk  I really loved shooting. We did all the photographs in Providence, RI at an old manufacturing building that's now Hope Artiste Village-- which is a nice touch, right?  

2) I still shoot sheep shots. Any chance I can! These ladies, above, are some of the wild island sheep I return to every year, on Nash Island Maine, to help my friend Jani Estell of Starcroft Yarn with her roundup and shearing. I play a very small role in the annual event, but it holds a large space in my heart.  
Parade on Nash Island.  It's a little misleading-- you only see this kind of scene at roundup for a split second as they are finally brought in by our human chain around the island, and walk briskly into the corral -- usually this tiny island appears to have no sheep at all - they are shy and good at hiding in the hillocks. The only other time is right at dawn, if you are lucky enough to make camp for the night.


I photographed many sheep and goats and farmers and shepherds in 2019, working with the Hudson Valley Textile Project in New York state. I'm looking forward to more adventures with them, and in anything I can do to support  the fibershed movement. This sweet beastie lives on the very wonderful Wing and a Prayer Farm.

3) More open-mindedness. To experiences, ideas and ...anything..even if I think I've already made an informed decision on whatever it is. More on this topic another time. Happy 2020!







9 comments:

Carole said...

Your sheep shots are wonderful, as always. I especially like that last one with the red barn in the background. Happy New Year!

Kirsten said...

So nice to think of the sheering on a grey January day.

I had to follow the link to the Hope Artist Village since my family was all from that part of Rhode Island and worked in various industrial settings there -- including textiles. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention Hope Webbing though. Wish my mom was still around to ask. Regardless it was fun reading the history of the location.

Janet Stepura said...

Always love your photos, both sheep and otherwise! I’m up for resolution #3 too.

Kym said...

Oh, hello! So wonderful to see you here again. XO I love all your photos -- but especially the sheep-on-parade shot. I'm looking forward to hearing more about thing #3. And Happy New Year to you!

AsKatKnits said...

I am with you on #3 - yes, much more of that please! (But those sheep!)

Ellen Bloom said...

I believe that the sheep smile just for you! I'm sure they look forward to your annual visit!

cal patch said...

i never tire of your sheep shots! glad to see a new post from you and Happy New Year!

Sam said...

Welcome back! Thanks for the sheep shots.

Kristin Nicholas said...

Beautiful sheep photos Gale. You have such an eye. Hope to see you in 2020.