It's that time of year, to see all our favorite fuzzy faces and appreciate their fiber. For us, the Ct Sheep and Wool festival starts the spring and fair season. It's just a teeny little fiber festival, a mere smidge of a gathering. But it means winter is done.
My report: Purple is big this year, no surprise there. The vendors here are smaller farms and local or regional dyers. I always admire Tidal Yarns skeins. I love her patterns, too. There was a pullover sample at her booth I spent some time admiring *. You know how you look and think "ooh nice" but then the next day you're thinking " oooh nice and I really want to knit that.....it's stuck in my head....". Even though I've got my knitting pretty well planned out for the short term. Note to self: follow her to another fair and do it.There was some herding, of sheep. And of a four year old.
My fave thing this year was Dancing Stick Man, and the dude who pulled the string as he played banjo.
The banjo playing was at one of our fave booths too- old timey stuff including what sister Lulu, who joined the fair-going expedition, called folk art and little spirit jugs. Many had faces on them, or tiny paintings. You'll find a couple in our flower garden, if it ever gets warm enough to plant.
There was also the Wearing of the Amazing Knits, Folks in Renaissance Clothes Doing Impossibly Intricate Needlework, Spinning In Group Formation, Shearing Demos and Really Good Buttons, along with all of the above. Want my 2¢? Get out to some up and coming fairs .
- Maryland Sheep and Wool May 7 & 8 --the big mama of east coast spring festivals
- Shepherds Harvest in Minnesota May 13-15 - worth the trip from wherever you are
- New Hampshire Sheep & Woool Festival - May 14 & 15 - bring a sweater! it's in the woods- my memory of my two visits to this one is brrrrrr! and also- beautiful yarns & sheep
- Massachusetts Sheep and Woolcraft Fair May 28 & 29th-- super charming
Just for funs : although I rarely miss a year of this festival, I sometimes skip blogging about it. oops! my first visit to this festival 11 years ago , back when my blog was a secret and I was purposefully posting small not terribly well made photos, to keep it separate from my professional commercial work (why? insanity??!!) . And also another, sunshiney lovely year there, on the blog seven years ago.
* so this pullover? It was worsted or DK weight looking, nice deep raglan sleeves, boxy cut, slightly scooped neck and an inset pocket (with contrast lining, I just love that) on one side of the lower front. It was shown with color blocking near the lower quarter of the body but it'd be charming solid....