Wednesday, November 19, 2014

not so random

stones on Nash Island in Maine , with Trig, a hat pattern by Mary Lou Egan
This started as a Random Stuff post, blabbing about work, what I've been making and knitting and I'm traveling this weekend and what I'm teaching, and what I'll knit on the train and bus, and oh, you know, the weather and how I want to knit all the hats. And CRAFT FRIDAY .....
But it's never really random, just like there aren't really coincidences. Enough time or enough thought always reveals the connection.
Example: I've been putting together presentations. I was listening to a webinar about vision-based portfolios. Love the concept. I trained and worked as a photojournalist. Man oh man do I adore a narrative, so I tend to default to one as I present images.  It is so hard to edit my own work.  I tried letting my brain go loose-y goose-y and guess what? Seemingly random images went together.
This pairing is dyed fiber at a farm in 2006, and on the right, my own Decibella Cowl pattern. 
I'll probably demo making these photo pairings, and how to embellish them further,  and of course,  collages with many more images and graphics, even circular images, when I teach the Making Collages with PicMonkey  Interweave webinar on Monday, 11/24/14  at 1pm eastern live. Join me, please?  Or get it recorded to listen to on-demand. I am telling you, the above show restraint, you can go CRAZY with the tools on that free software.  I think we'll start all buttoned down and simple like this,  and then just continue on and on with loads of options.

7 comments:

Jani said...

is it on the 21st, or on Monday the 24th? I absolutely love your pairings.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

whoops, thanks Jani, I corrected it! Monday Nov 24th 1 pm eastern!

margene said...

The class sounds fun and I wish I could join in. It would be so much fun to create collages with colorful images. I hope you share more of the works created!

Sam said...

I love your color saturation pictures. As a Costume Designer, I am always looking at things to inspire me. Some are random, some are not. Your rocks and hat pattern have gotten my brain buzzing with ideas. Thanks!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Lovely photos Gale.

gknitter said...

Please tell us from where the brown ?canvas? hat came. Need it, want it. Thanks from too sunny Southern Calif. -DB

gknitter said...

Please tell us from where the brown ?canvas? hat came. Need it, want it. Thanks from too sunny Southern Calif. -DB