Friday, March 09, 2007

shakshouka

Trying to think of an alt word to well-worn random, this dish popped into my brain. From way back when a much younger version of us lived in Israel for two years. You throw anything you have on hand into a pot on top of sauteed onions and tons of garlic, adding crushed tomatoes, cook till it's melded, then you toss in a couple of eggs on top. If cooked over a fire while camping in the desert: indescribably delicious. Not bad at home either but when you get those little smoky embers in it, mmm.
Anyhow, here I am with all kinds of stuff and an egg on top.
Thinking about our Israel years , Dave reminded me that I used to try to get up early on Thursdays for the weekly sheep trading market in east Jerusalem by the Damascus Gate at dawn. To take pictures. Consistent, am I not? 0307<span class=0307<span class=
I wandered everywhere fearlessly then, now I can barely get my quaking self on a commercial airplane from fear of turbulence. An ageing wuss! And yet I still love to travel. Flying recently I spent hours in a panic over a super bumpy start and the pilot's warning that landing was going to be rough, too. Like I had any choice, seeing as I was in the air strapped in trying to do yoga breathing. I am crying uncle and going for drugs before the next flight. I'm also heading over to the excellent travel sites MamaCate linked to yesterday. I'll add Mobissimo to her list.

On to knitting. It's still woolly weather here, I'm knitting this scarf as a way to use the beautiful hand dyed mohair locks I was given at Kai Ranch. <span class=
It's a feather and fan, 20 stitches wide in Andys Merino from
Farmhouse Yarns (it never ends, I tell ya), I'm just knitting the silky little curls in sort of how you'd add thrums, except poking outward. I decided to congregate them near the ends and more sparsely placed in the middle, so I won't end up with an upscale wool scarf that looks like fun fur.

You know what I want to be knitting? Lots of the new Knitty . I looked at my spring Interweave and thought "well that proves it, I am not in synch with What Knitters Want to Wear" Then, the spring Knitty and if only I didn't have other sweaters started, this or this or this would be cast on immediately.
You still with me? I'm getting to the egg on top (or maybe the whipped cream but its more proteiny and useful than whipped cream): my next trip to shoot sheep is to a Navajo ranch, in Arizona. Can I not wait to leave? No I can not! Why am I doing this? For a book! Next year, from PotterCraft. Fiber farms, lots of juicy photos, fiber artists, great writing and of course knitting patterns from the fiber farms/ranches all over the US . Please note: I'm not writing, I am definitely NOT designing anything, you've got to know your strengths and designing? Not mine. Real designers and fiber artists from each farm are, using their own yarns from the profiled farms. I just take the photos. And give opinions to editors. And test knit. Swoon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your pictures from Israel very much. I like the way they capture the old mixed with the new.

Cookie said...

Bloglines took their sweet time telling me about this update.

I'm with you on the flying. I grew up on planes. Commercial and private and always loved it. Then the world started falling to hell and it got harder. Now it's a love/hate thing. Thankfully, you get to fly to do something you love.

I can't wait to see most photos and hear more about this book.

normanack said...

What an incredible book -- I can't wait to see it! The subject sounds right up my alley, and the pictures? Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!

Anonymous said...

The book sounds great. I wish I could spin all the horse hair I've begun removing from my horse and my clothes as the days lengthen. Then you could come take pictures!

kt said...

Oh, you'll love the weather here! It as 84 this afternoon as we finished up working on my in-laws' patio.

Will you be up north in Navajo country? Cooler there-plan to layer. Book sounds great--I know it'll LOOK great with your fine eye...

Anonymous said...

I don't fly anywhere without my Xanax. I don't even THINK about flying without it....

So jealous about the book...to just shoot shoot shoot the things you love! Good luck and congratulations!!