Sunday, February 28, 2010

matchy matchy

2110stview
iPhone view, down the street Friday
Around here it's been a big winter for hats, scarves & mitts. The full monty, every time I go outside. It's come to my attention, by looking in the mirror occasionally, I look I'm dressed by the Handknit Rummage Sale. Natural brown alpaca cowl! Bright red earflap hat with mulitcolored ties ! Noro mitts! That's just one of my combos, many are more alarming.  And striped, too. Call it the Rhinebeck look. Does not play well outside of large fiber festivals. No matter how nice the yarn and stitches are.
0210famVar_931
So, in my efforts for a better fitting Felicity  I  chose Manos Rittenhouse in turquoise, to coordinate with the Manos Silk Blend razor shell scarf, from a coupla years ago. The yarns have different fibers and finishes but the same kettledyed colorway. Big step toward matchkind.
0210famVar_930
(Well, sort of. I was surprised that the semi solid settled into stripes, very definite stripes. )
And, in my worries about overdoing the slouch and putting myself back into a hat  that again said Ellis Island instead of PDX , I may have overcompensated. See my first Felicity here, and you'll understand.
Ellis Island immigrants, from Vincent J. Cannato’s “American Passage: The History of Ellis Island”
None worrying about the slouch of her headwear , I bet. 


My modifications: I cast on 74 stitches, so it wouldn't squeeze my hair too flat.  I could have gone 78. When I switched up to the larger  needles, I used size US6  rather than the recommended 7. I knit one less round of increases, too. The volume is fine but I could have use an extra few rounds in length. Or maybe not. The last one grew a bit with wear, so this might be as close as I get to my ideal version.  
Next hat try, Simple Slouch Hat (rav link). Maybe in a yarn that'll go with my Palisades cowl.  Or.....maybe spring will come.
housesnow

12 comments:

Marla McLean, Atelierista said...

The color looks great on you, and will cheer up the winter landscape.
Now that we are no longer at Ellis Island, the look ain't too bad, kind of boho.

Kay said...

As long as you're not tying the scarf around your head and under your chin, I think you're all right.

gayle said...

Now you need a red scarf with multi-color ends to go with the earflap cap...
Though I'm hoping spring gets here soon, and we won't be needing all this armor just to go outside.

Cathy R said...

What is this strange "matching" of which you speak...

Also, I think it is very cool that your hat and scarf match your glasses!!

Turtle said...

love the bright color! lol, the last photo almost looks black and white at first glance!

Ellen Bloom said...

Oooo...the aqua looks great with your eyeglasses too!

Nutella Nutterson said...

Lovely hat, and great color combo!

I think this whole "coordinated" concept might be a clever one. I shall attempt to investigate the possibilities within my own stash.

Cookie said...

Even your glasses go! Well done! I think it's so much better when things go together than when it's all done from the yarn and matches perfectly. Ya know?

xo

twinsetellen said...

It is a fabulous color for you and looks great. Just matchy matchy enough.

Mary Lou said...

It's a good look - matches the specs even. And unless you have the total sandbag woman look, I think your safe with the Ellis Island persona.

Natalie said...

I hear you on the fiber festival assembles, which I too have suffered from. Love the turquoise and the matches. Very winter put together and it pops!

Ani said...

I lovelovelove the color... I might steal the set ;-)