Sunday, November 08, 2009

on second thought

1109famvar351
My new hat. When I put it on my head I thought this is IT, this is what I want in a new hat.
Pattern: Felicity
Yarn: Sport weight- 1 skein of Six Paca Farm alpaca (description here) , and 1 skein of Frog Tree alpaca in gold. I am crazy about these colors together. I'm tempted to add a small amount of bright red stitching embellishment. For some reason this color combo speaks to me this week.
Needles: sizes 3 & 5 US
Notes: Ok, this is such a cool hat if you look at it on Ravelry , mostly knit in worsted weight. Or here's a good example.There are, like, hundreds to admire.This is a lighter weight yarn so I modified the pattern , by casting on 96 stitches to start and increasing starting with K6 M 1, until I worked up to K12 M1 .
Since the yarn is thinner, I worried the hat wouldn't be long enough. A baggy beanie? No thanks. I added 8 rows before starting the decreases. And I knit 3 rounds between each decrease row.
1109famvar355
When I first put it on my head I thought I was all that. I had the slouchy hat I wanted.
1109famvar348
Now, I'm thinking maybe too much volume. At some point slouch just becomes...pouf. So this may get a restructuring. Or I may just be lazy and wear it.

13 comments:

Emma said...

It looks fab on you. It will relax more with wearing, I should think. It does suit you.

Mandy said...

Be lazy! It looks great.

CinderOla said...

I really like it! Don't change it.

BabyBeth said...

Keep it as is!!! I love it and have been thinking about knitting Felicity for myself but have read a ton of people had gauge issues.

Cathy R said...

Oh, don't change the hat. It looks great on you!

I'm still in the search for the perfect hat for me. So far, I've been knitting hats, and then someone else falls in love with it so they end up with it.

Go figure.

margene said...

The hat looks great! We never like ourselves in hats, but truly, it looks great on you!

Brenda said...

It looks awesome on you! I like the slouch. Leave it!

Mary Lou said...

It looks good. And with all that room, you can stuff your hair in it when it's snowing hard.

Ellen Bloom said...

SWEET! You're rockin' that hat, Gale....along with those faboo blue eyeglasses!!!

Kymm said...

Poof schmoof--it looks great. Leave it as is!

Archiknist said...

I think you'll like it once the top relaxes... but if it still worries you, do you think it would work to fold the brim under and sew it in place (to be a turned hem), if you don't want to redo the top? It would at least counteract the 8 extra rows, and if you blocked it well, it should be pretty flat, even without a purl row at the turn.

craftivore said...

I wanted to make Felicity last winter and bought the wrong yarn for it, it was too stiff. Yours looks great and the slouch of Felicity is what makes it good.

Joansie said...

Great hat, Gale. Just think.... the time you save not reconstructing this hat can be spent knitting something else :>)