Monday, November 30, 2009

lessons learned

1109FamVar_719
I started the month with some intentions & some assumptions.
Like NaPoBloMo. My day late start might have tipped you off to the outcome, right? I assumed it might bother me if I couldn't pull it off. There were three or four misses. Am I bothered by this? nah. Isn't it poetic justice this very post is actually too late to count as being in the month. Lame but OK. I also assumed if I posted regularly, I'd then have more bloglines subscribers. Ha! I lost one. Quantity? Quality? Whatever.

I intended to knit for the Red Scarf Project & to spread the word that more scarves are needed. My finished scarf needs blocking & fringing. I'm goning to squeeze out another. Better than that, Knit New Haven is dedicating all their Thursday Nights in December to Red Scarf Project knitting, they are now a Red Scarf Dropoff spot and they have a poster for the project on their window, on a very busy New Haven street. And it works! While I was there yesterday a customer saw it, and stated right then she was going to jump in & knit one. Yay for a new shop that's stepping up for the local knitting community and a good cause. See you there Thursday? if I can pull it off I am going to make Red Velvet cupcakes for the occasion. No idea how you make them but that's why they invented the internets, right?

I intended to see if the one good brussel sprout experience I had, a year ago in Montpelier VT, might be repeatable. I assumed I'd cook them passably well, and then I'd kind of let it go for another year till harvest time. Nu-uh! They were so good, I had to make them three more times that week, one of which was on Thanksgiving. So, referring to the rule of food partisanship , I will now be making roasted brussel sprouts with garlic sauteed red pepper & onions, couscous & a quick sprinkle of parmesan cheese for many many years to come.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous BabyBeth said...

I've been wanting to check that store out since it opened...I'll be there on Thursday and skip SnB on Wednesday. I need some yarn for the RSP.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Archiknist said...

I don't know if I'll make it on Thursday, but I have 3.75 scarves I can drop off.

ideally, after I finish that last .25!

9:47 AM  
Blogger woolanthropy said...

I've got two scarves to send. I just have to wash and block!

I got something real bad for Brussels sprouts right now. Cannot get enough of them. yumyumyum

2:00 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

I like sprouts steamed, too, but roasting is the way to make converts!

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Norma said...

Ooooh, I have brussel sprouts in my fridge right now, waiting to be roasted. Yay for the New Haven shop!!! Wish I could be there Thursday for the red velvet cupcakes. Perhaps I will find some of those to have with my friend Joan (we are getting together to knit and nosh), and we can PRETEND that we are with youse guys.

8:23 AM  
Blogger craftivore said...

My daughter still says that the Red Velvet cake I made for her birthday two years ago was the worst. I think it would have been better with cream cheese frosting, and I'm sure yours will be delish. Your support of the Red Scarf project absolves you from knitting/posting pitfalls.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Gotta Knit! said...

I never really understood the draw of NaPoBloMo. Sounds rather painful and reminds me of all those oh so very structured English papers I had to write.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home