redscarf: steal this for your blog
I've been lucky enough to meet some of these kids. This isn't just some nutty knitters feeling good idea. The students truly appreciate what you are doing, knitting something by hand for them. Not only is it likely to be the only handknit they receive, it will likely be the only care package.
Here's the plan:
1) cast on for a red scarf and work on it as much as you can this week, and if you're in the US, especially over Thanksgiving. Pick a simple pattern and you'll maybefinish it by Sunday. Or next.
2) be thankful for whoever supported you with a care package when you were a student. Think what it would have been like without them. And if there wasn't anyone? Then you really know how it matters.
3) tell another knitter about it . There's info on the Red Scarf blog. And patterns.
4) STEAL THE POSTER above and put it on your blog. Really! If you click on it, it'll go to my Flickr page, just steal it from there.
5) Call your local yarn store and tell them about this. If they need a poster to print out, there's one of this one, print sized, linked to the Red Scarf blog. Offer to print it out for them & hang it in the store. Maybe they want to offer a discount on any red yarn for one day to perk things up?
6) Knit! I'm determined to finish the one I'm on now, and crank one more by the December 15th deadline. It is do-able. Join me?
My last pep talk on the subject is here, it has additional suggestions for helping out.