Tuesday, February 23, 2010

how to drive your loved ones crazy in 3 days or less

0210FamVar_0432
Insist on knitting a sock of questionable appeal during group watching of international sporting events, and suspenseful movies, too. Punctuate the most engaging parts of either by saying " wow, this really is pretty ugly, isn't it?"  and  " does this look like something I'll wear?". When it is suggested that maybe you'd be happier knitting something else, insist that you want to get 'er done. Even if it'll need a mate.
0210FamVar_0401
Then when  finished, try it on, maybe as Apolo Ohno waits for the short track finals starter horn. In response to the look on your loved ones' faces when you ask them to agree with you about how unappealing the sock is, say " Really? You think they're THAT bad?".

0210FamVar_0420
Oh don't go feeling sorry for them. They drive me crazy too. Besides, I've moved on, I'm knitting my new Felicity now and oh am I happy with this yarn. It feels like velvet knit up, isn't that weird?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Navajo Churro sheep on the reservation, Arizona.
Announcement to the local sheep peeps: I'm the lunchtime book author presentation at the Scranton Library in Madison CT this Thursday, 2/25  from 12:30-2:30. It's a slide talk about working on Shear Spirit, cleverly titled: She Shoots Sheep Shots.  Bring your knitting! Bring your lunch ! No charge! Detail here



15 comments:

Cathy R said...

Oh, good. I'm not the only one. I think they are bright and cheery.

Thanks for editing the link - I was confused by the previous one as it didn't look the same.

I'm about to do some credit card damage. :-)

I'm glad that you have moved on to something more to your taste.

Joansie said...

Oh, I love the socks. They remind me of something pleasant from my childhood but I haven't figured out what yet :>)....Happy Knitting!

Ellen Bloom said...

Yes, the sock colorway is startling, but definitely cheery! You can always wear them with boots! OR, you could overdye them with Kool-Ade!!!

I drive Larry nuts while we're watching TV and I'm knitting or crocheting. He particularly loves it when I'm muttering instructions to myself. He keeps saying, "What? What" Are you talkin' to me?"

Hah!

Mary Lou said...

I like the socks. Quite cheerful. I have a friend who says red socks are warmer, so maybe bright colors in general are. I loved the olympic knitting pestering - we all do drive one another crazy, no?

Maddie said...

Oh no... I'll be in school. Too bad, I adore knitting events. And Scranton for its knitting book collection and interlibrary loan for them.

(I was the lone spinner at the RJ Julia's signing way back, by the way... Still reading your blog!)

Yuliana said...

hahaha...I did that to dh too. Good to know I'm not the only one.
I think the sock is perfect for winter blues.

gayle said...

Goodness gracious, that's bright.
Definitely a good sock for winter - all that color to counteract the gray blahs...

Nancy G said...

I LOVE those socks! I can almost smell that freshly opened box of crayons!

Turtle said...

i still think they will be perfect, if only one day a year... May 5th!

Marla McLean, Atelierista said...

I love the rainbow socks. No need to wear them with Mary Janes, just put them under your boggs boots and smile all day to yourself, kinda like when you wear those really awesome underwear, and only you know.

craftivore said...

The socks are kind of crayolaish, but I bet they'll make you happy every time you put them on. I love the way you write, so funny and approachable.

Birdsong said...

I wish I could attend one of your talks, one of these days... I love the thought of knitting with velvet and have to find that yarn to caress. Those are pretty darn bright, but then socks are partially hidden by shoes anyway.

twinsetellen said...

Wow! You colored all that white yarn with Sharpies??? You are truly amazing! ;-)

Kym said...

Gosh, love the color for the new Felicity. :-) The crayola socks are pretty bold . . . but some days you really NEED bold!

Unknown said...

I LOVE those socks!!!!! What yarn did you use and is it commercially available? I must have socks like that. It'll drive my family crazy!