Saturday, January 16, 2010

palisades

Palisade chunky cowl, handknit
Named for those crazy beautiful vertical rock formations along the Hudson. A cushy chunky cowl knit from 1 skein each of Silk Garden Chunky and Misti Alpaca Super Chunky (50/50 alpaca-wool).
Palisade chunky cowl, handknit
My own design, you can download a copy of the pattern for yourself here.

   Free but please consider a donation to help Haiti.
Palisade chunky cowl, handknit 
The mixed weights, chunky and even chunkier, create  a nice 3 dimensional texture to the fabric, it almost looks woven, especially in the decorative rounds near the top. A great last minute gift. Especially for yourself if the weather has been cold & bitter. Ask me how I know.
It looks good around your head- if you had abundant hair, it'll flow out the top.  I couldn't quite pull it off for the photos, but when I find a model who can, I'll add it in, OK?

Fun fact: Silk Garden Chunky is so much softer than it's skinnier Silk Garden kin. I don't know why, but it's true. 

13 comments:

Linda 'K' said...

Hi Gale - the link to your lovely new pattern doesn't seem to be working. We just gave a big hunk to Dox w/o Borders, but before I read your blog. Hope that counts.
Thanks for the pattern (when the link is back!).

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

So sorry! The link is back and reattached to the pattern now. W Enjoy! Let me know if you knit it.

Mary Lou said...

NICE!! I didn't even know there was a silk garden chunky, now that the Yarney isn't carrying Noro. I may have to pay full price. And I did make extra to MSF.

twinsetellen said...

Fab! At first glance, my eyes read it as double crochet. I love that it stands up so you can duck your chin down into it, yet it doesn't appear to strangle one's chin in the least.

Plus, with this in my queue I feel totally innocent about adding single skeins of chunky yarn to my stash. :-)

Vicki Knitorious said...

So fun! It looks great -- love the colors you chose. Thanks Gale!!

Ellen Bloom said...

Fantastic colors....excellent use of yarn textures!!! What a great design!

ImplausibleYarn said...

Beautiful colors! Lovely and all sorts of positive adjectives!

Cristina said...

Nice. Or as my sixth graders say about something they like, "Sick."

I love cowls. I'm wearing a big tube of leftover Misti Alpaca Sock right now.

Cathy R said...

Ooooh, Oooooh, Ooooh!!! That is fantastic!! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

You have such keen color sense.

Loomit said...

What length circular needle--16"?

HPNY KNITS said...

Great!!! love the combination!

Natalie said...

great cowl!
love the colors and chunky yarns.
It's cold and rainy here and would be perfect for today!

gayle said...

Cozy looking! And I'm crazy about your colors.
Looks like another perfect weapon in my arsenal against winter...