Sunday, August 17, 2008

again with the grilled beets

0808GZUCKERfv_  0616
I put this salad on the table for lunch yesterday and said I ought to charge myself $13 . Which is the kind of nerdy thing we say when we're particularly pleased with ourselves for a dish we throw together here. Grilled (& chilled) local beets, arugula, goat cheese. I drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegar over it and had a slice of sourdough baguette too which made it even prettier but decided to sit and eat it instead of making more photos. Sometime you have to live life instead of shooting it, right?

It was part of our anniversary celebration day of diminishing momentum. In the course of 24 hours we devolved from weekend getaway to staycation (the most overused and annoying phrase of summer oh8) to afternoon outing to eh, why go anywhere. Granted, we had a beach down the street and kayaks ready to roll, a bottle of prosecco and great weather.0808GZUCKERfv_  0603
Plus a trip to the farmers market earlier left us with a kitchen full of choice organic grub.

Anyway, my point is, it was better than going away. In our amazingly long (for these days and for people who aren't really that old) marriage we have nailed, absolutely to perfection, our ability to hang out together, even though we don't get as much chance to devote a day to it as we used to. It'd be nice if our joint talents added up to remodeling homes and reselling them for great profit or some other sort of financial magic but, still, there's something to be said for the art of hanging. (I got some happy sock knitting done too but I'll hold off on that action and leave you with more farmers market.)
0808GZUCKERfv_  0608
0808GZUCKERfv_  0601

9 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Happy Anniversary! We like to stay home and hang out, too. Especially when all the reasons for going out (i.e. the children) go out. heh!

Kay said...

This post showed me that I don't hate all "hand holding object" photos. That one's my favorite!

You should do a book or something.

Happy anniversary; it sounds like it was crazy to think of going anywhere when you were already a destination unto yourselves.

xo Kay

PS When you were newlyweds, how much did you say you should charge yourself when you cooked something good?

Scoutj said...

Happy Anniversary!

Now can you come make that for me please?

kt said...

Happy Happy!

Sounds like the way we like to do things, too. Often the best times are running insipid errands together; the pharmacy, Price Club (we still call it that), the shoe store.

Just to be together hacking around and yacking. Or not.

Yay for you 'uns.

Mary Lou said...

OK, that eggplant photo looks creepily like a snake - but the beets look like $13 for sure. I made a beet salad (roasted) for a party over the weekend and there was a photo stylist there who sought me out to tell me not only was it tasty, but the presentation was lovely. go me.

Cat With Cats said...

Oh, Yum.

Happy Anniversary!

the Lady said...

Happy Anniversary! Yup, I should've charged myself last night too... gnocchi is amazingly simple! Nice beet photo, looks yummy!

Vicki Knitorious said...

Happy Anniversary!!

I missed our farmers market this week, but the grocery store had some FABULOUS looking eggplant and of course I said "yes" to the beets. The clerk wasn't sure about the eggplant and handled the beets as if the greens were *ALIVE*, and the bagger said, "You bought ALL the gross vegetables," which only made me want to add artichokes to my beautiful bounty. Anyway, yum. Thanks for shooting before eating.

Anonymous said...

This so resonated. Happy anniversary, and I'm so glad for you that it was the best thing in the world to spend it loving hanging out together. I have also had the wish that "our talents added up to remodeling houses" or something like that, but I'd never trade it for what we have.