Tuesday, August 12, 2008

i love a knitting request

Especially if it has an element of challenge.
0808GZUCKERfv_  0183
That's my nephew, you might notice him in the center, as seen on Saturday. He sweetly asked me to knit him a "funky tam", something he can stick all his dreadlocks up into . Not in Jamaican colors. And not all wool - too hot for where they live and his homegrown insulation.

Suggestions? I'd love to go with a Taos Beret from Shear Spirit - I know I can nail the size/floop factor, having cranked out a few of these babies in the past year. But the brim isn't right. 0508famvar_211

And what yarn? All cotton=sag. Something of a blend would be good. This should be fun.

7 comments:

AnaB said...

What a great head full of dreads! He looks like a fun nephew to have :-)
I fell in love with Elann Coto Canapone recently -- a cotton and linen blend, which might be good for this. Don't know how it will hold up to the weight, though...

Scoutj said...

What about something like this?

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kap/kap.html

Cat With Cats said...

I agree. Some sort of cotton/linen blend, perhaps knit in a more open stitch so that it would "breathe" well.

Great picture, as always. It made me smile.

Ellen Bloom said...

How 'bout just a basic k2 p2 rib for the brim/hat band. You could even do a k1 p1 rib for extra elasticity!

Meg McG said...

I used pattern found on Knitty Gritty, it's a great pattern. I added on the brim (in the pattern) for my sister and she loved it.

Anonymous said...

What about Le Slouch by Wendy Barnard of Knit and Tonic...it's easily modifiable...

http://www.knitandtonic.typepad.com/leslouchrev.pdf

Kate

twinsetellen said...

Maybe the brim could be in a cotton/elastic blend and the remainder in cotton alone.