Monday, October 04, 2010

seasonally affected. again.

2197_GaleZucker0910QuinnBiz 
See that yarn on top? A skein of Schaefer Nichole in Thistle, left over from a test knit for the new book project. I know. I can't believe the knitter returned it, either. I might have been gracious and insist she keep it, there was enough left to knit a small shawl. Except... I didn't. A lot of yarn passed through here this year, a lot of very, very, lovely yarn.  But this particular skein was one I coveted.

Since I've been on a run of scarfy/shawly things, I chose Roma as my pattern for it. Then, I skidded like a ouija board at a pre-teen sleepover to the golden straw skein of Classic Elite Soft Linen for the contrast. Not really my color, why was I choosing it? 2194_GaleZucker0910QuinnBiz this is going to look amazing after blocking. trust me.
It took me only a day to realize I'd done it again. Chosen colors that are all around me as the leaves change, shadows deepen  and the marsh grasses turn golden. I am so. freakin'. predictable.
2207_GaleZucker0910QuinnBiz 
And then I reached for my mug, on the table in the family room this week.

12 comments:

Cathy R said...

That is going to be beautiful!! I love the colors.

Carole Knits said...

The colors are awesome. I tend to do that, too, especially at fiber festivals. I'm not sure what the influence is but I definitely gravitate to one color all day long when I go to these things.

judy said...

I had to laugh. You are not alone. I can nearly predict, when a customer comes to my booth, what color they will gravitate towards and ultimately buy. They are usually wearing it. We are funny creatures, aren't we?

Quinn said...

You could have made the same seasonally-affected decision in the Spring (think of violets) or Summer (iris)! Purple and yellow are one of my favorite combinations of complementary colors. :)

gayle said...

Pretty shawl! And I'm not just saying that because it's purple. (Though that's definitely a factor...)

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

The yarn and the color combination is really pretty.

Mary Lou said...

You could wear it to a Vikings game. I see the same thing at beginning knitting class each time. Student pulls out ball of yarn that goes with her clothes. In your case, you have such a good eye that it goes with the world around you.

Laura Nelkin said...

So glad the yarn found it's home with you! Lovin' those two colors together....

craftivore said...

Ha ha, I love that fall inspires a new sense of color. So nice that you're conscious of it.

Carrie said...

Beautiful colors. Some of my favorites.

twinsetellen said...

What if we also added in texture - do you want to knit crunchy yarn in the fall when the leaves are crunchy? More likely it is the temperature, but my knitting heart turns to thoughts of hard wool Norwegian sweaters as we get further into the season.

Great shawl, and I understand your coveting of this yarn. It merits it in a big way.

kelli ann said...

Gorgeous. I'm all for trying to capture the colour schemes that surround us:: it's grey enough up here, 8 months of the year!