Thursday, January 30, 2020

3 things on my thumbs up list

1. New sweater, done!
The Little Sock Arms Sweater is done and went to school shortly after this image was grabbed early this morning. Everyone, meaning Zoe and me, is very happy with it.
What? Were you expecting a professional looking photo shoot of the FO  from me? I laugh!  30 seconds with the phone before a quick run to the bus stop. Cobblers children all the way here!

Love this pattern and loved knitting it in Julia Vesper's Knitterly Things yarns. Super soft and great
colors. I knit it a little big on purpose to try to get two winters out of it. I mean, fingering weight sweaters do not grow on trees, right?  The pattern is also available as Sock Arms in adult sizes and, even more temptingly, in worsted weight. I love how the designer uses a picked up from the shoulder short row construction on the sleeves so you get stripes alllll the way down. 

2. More colors !


This scarf tube from the Mason Dixon Knitting Field Guide 13 Kaffe Fassett-palooza continues to get me through this season --along with nightly watching of The Spy.   Sometimes I get caught up inthe espionage and forget to keep knitting. 

No overarching plan for the colors- I am using up leftovers and scraps in Starcroft Fog. I accidentally hit the gray tone button filter in my phone and was amused to see that having strong contrast is not all that important to the success of the stripes--I like these color values. Sometimes it just works.   

I don't have enough knitting time to satisfy my addiction to this exercise- I am thinking  45 stripes of 1.5" will do it, I am on the number twelve.  If I do a stripe a night I'll have a new scarf in the beginning of March.  When we usually get slammed with a couple of snowstorms and ice so maybe that's my plan.

3. International Ice Cream for Breakfast Day is this Saturday Feb 1
 Three rules. Eat ice cream for breakfast. Before noon. On the first Saturday in February.
More info here.

I've been traveling for work for the last two years on this holiday but in 2020 we're setting out the ice cream topping buffet and honoring the day with friends the way we should be--I covered it some earlier years on this blog--like here and here

Don't say I didn't give you an advanced warning this year ==go  grab a pint.


9 comments:

Carole said...

The sweater is adorable - I love those striped sleeves! Julia dyes amazing yarn, that's for sure. I'm going to knit a kaffe cowl, hopefully starting this weekend. And THANK YOU for the ice cream for breakfast reminder!

AsKatKnits said...

That sweater is adorable, x2!! As is your incredible Kaffe-athon! But wait... You mean I can legitimately have ice cream for brekkie this Saturday? Count me freaking IN!

Bonny said...

Love the sweater, color from MDK and Kaffe, and especially ice cream for breakfast. I want to make sure I do it right on Saturday so I might have a practice ice cream breakfast tomorrow.

thehandwrittenthankyounote said...

I'm going to buy GALLONS! Thank you for this absolutely fantastic heads up! Bonny's comment made me laugh :)

Sarah said...

LOVE the Sock Arms! I knit the little worsted version for my nephew and now my daughter wants one, but she still has to decide on colors. One day I'd love to knit one for myself, too, perhaps for that skein of sock yarn that's too pretty to hide in my shoes.

We're headed to my brother- and sister-in-law's for brunch tomorrow. Now I need to inform them of this very important holiday!

Kym said...

Zoe looks so dang adorable in her Sock Arms! I love that design and would love to knit one (for myself or for a kid) someday. And those coins are so addicting, aren't they? Such happy knitting. (I want to knit another one . . . as soon as I finish this dang gray cardigan. Which was the stupidest thing EVER to knit in January.) And I am ALL IN on the ice cream. Thanks for the reminder! XO

Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh, that sweater (and that KID!)!! Fantastic!! I think I have some of Julia's yarn leftover from a cardi project a few years ago... and I think I'm going to have to knit one of these!!

Lee said...

The Sock Arms may just spark another copycat sweater. Love it!!

Mary Lou said...

ANother post! I am impressed! I want to make a fog kaffe thing.