Thursday, June 05, 2008

heavily scheduled yet easily distracted

yep, that sums it up.
F'r instance, I've been focusing on finishing my Montana Tunic, slogging that shawl collar. It has the magical power of the more you knit, the less it grows. But sticking with it, in whatever knitting time I squeeze in around frenetic work. Eyes on the prize and all that.
Until, while book blabbing about Shear Spirit at Saybrook Yarn,the group fixated on double knitting. We were examining the Hardrock Snowboarder jacket pattern.143_RAVE When Mary Lou Egan designed it for us based on this flying prototype , she thought it'd be pretty awesome as a vest. I'd kind of forgotten but, now, well, it's got to happen. 0508FamVar_247 Here's the working sample, knit by MaryLou with 2 strands of Lambs Pride Bulky held together on size 15 US needles. Picture it sans sleeves. It'll be quick, right? Zipper or toggles up the front and walla!

Another distraction: I'm heading off to TNNA this weekend. So exciting. What to knit enroute? Too hot there to drag a partial sweater.0508famVar_  864
I'm thinking, hmm, my Mass Sheep & Wool souvenir Tashi crying to be a Lace Ribbon scarf . Advantage: if I run into a problem, there'll be at least , I dunno, 400 people or so in the Columbus OH downtown area who have already knit it.

Rounding out Temptations Today: I did a talk at Sit-n-Knit in Bloomfield CT.FAmVarGZucker_601499FAmVarGZucker_601516 I love this place. The joint totally lives up to its name. Owners Barbara & Richard made a store that welcomes you into 3 sitting areas. That's a class up above at a high table near the back of the store, there are also lower tables in the middle and comfy sofas to sit on near the windows. I plopped down for part of my visit with a friendly gang up front(not shown, I was too busy blabbing) and after a while noticed FAmVarGZucker_601517this shawl right in front of my face. Turns out it's a pattern that's never grabbed me but someone discovered you can knit it in two skeins of Noro Kureyon sock yarn and this stripey magic occurs. I have a hunch that link is the very same shawl I had the close encounter with. Do we love Ravelry? yes. we do. At the end of the evening of watching others nab yarn for it, I trotted myself over to the shelf . Just the earthy colorway 149 was left. Will return!

Matters got more complicated last night- I finally took a look at book cover
More Big Girls Knits. Check out that link, it has a window that opens inside pattern images. Love this book. A useful, well-written, conversational front section discusses measuring and knitted garment structure and analyzes how a sweater might work your assets, and then there are all these great patterns. I hope I cross paths with these two.

So if you're at TNNA, say hi, I'll be the one wandering the convention center with her head swiveling around and eyes boinging out. Just don't show me anymore enticing patterns..ok?

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Have a great time at TNNA!

Mary Lou said...

I'm here in Columbus. It's HOT. That vest sounds way too heavy today. I am thinking about it, though. See you soon!

Deenz said...

If you're in the New Haven/Woodbridge area - The Yarn Barn has plenty of Kureyon Sock for ya in stock! :-)

Deenz said...

Sorry - I meant to say next time you're in that area, lol. I do know you are around - I blame the heat on my dippiness!