Wednesday, May 25, 2016

my noncho

Nope. It's not a poncho. Just don't call it a poncho.
Last month, the confluence of a gift of beautiful yarn from Barcelona, a craving for some mindless knitting,  desire of a wrap-like garment that was secured on the shoulder but wasn't a big blanket thing (see my links at the end)--and a couple of long uninterrupted knitting opps all came together.
I didn't achieve ombre -you need to actually blend the changing colors to make that happen- but I'm pleased enough with my colorblocking  softened by carrying a strand of laceweight merino along through three different skeins of DK weight alpaca.
The button!  Also a from- Barcelona gift. It's just for decoration. A finishing touch. Helps me to find the right orientation when flinging it over your head. I want to be all je ne sais quois- not some dork lost  in my noncho trying to find the front end up, as I toss it on.
I felt like I had a knitting success but I wasn't sure I had a style success until Yliana commented that if I couldn't find it around the house, it might be because she stops by and sneaks it out to wear it next fall, when the weather gets cool. Sweet words from my sometime-skeptical-of -the-knits 21 year old photo helper, right?

Details-  3 skeins of alpaca DK weight (each approx 230 yards) and 1 skein of Anzula Wash My Lace laceweight merino.  Knit on size 10.5 US needles, in a big rectangle, with a 3" border of beaded rib on each end, and a 4 stitch border on the long edges. After blocking, about 24" x 55"-ish, folded in half and sewn on one edge, leaving  a 12" opening. I decided the reverse stockinette side had a more woven look so I called it the right side.

If you want to knit one, I don't think the dimensions are all that strict, nor the stitch pattern you choose. You could buy some inexpensive jersey fabric and make a mockup to see what size works for you. I just wouldn't  want the knit fabric too loose, or saggy- or too dense and stiff.  Go for it!

I'm not sure I have this concept entirely out of my system! Check out L'Enveloppe , Petal Capelet,
The llama II, Gale and if I can find that saved search with other not-quite-sweaters/not-quite-shawls, poncho-like garments, I'll share that too.....

PS Photos by the entry to Knit New Haven, my LYS. 

10 comments:

Kirsten said...

Love it!! I hope you plan to bring it to Maine.

Mary Lou said...

Love it - I've worn mine, which is a bit smaller, quite a bit in the changeable weather. I will call it a noncho now, since I refuse to call it a poncho, too.

AsKatKnits said...

Wow, I love it! Really lots! I might have some yarns that would make a lovely noncho... hmmm. I just might have to swatch and see!

Jani said...

I love your Noncho! Fantastic shape & drape!

cal said...

i've been craving a similar thing, that stays on, isn't too bulky, adds a cozy layer... whatever it's called!

La Tejedora said...

Very nice! I love the color.

twinsetellen said...

It is fab. The add of the button is a nice touch, just a little polish. And I like the color blocking vs ombre - seems more planned.

I have a hand-loomed* noncho - the Churchmouse Easy Folded Noncho. Apparently their editor didn't catch the typo and it has ended up being referred to as the Easy Folded Poncho.

*That's what we like to call the things we whip out on my buddies flat bed knitting machine. It helps ease the sting of friends who actually hand knit those miles of stockinette.

Kym said...

I am quite enamored of "nonchos," generally. They add such great . . . panache . . . to any old ensemble. I have made three of the Churchmouse Easy Folded NOT-poncho (so far) -- and find them relaxing to knit and easy to wear. Yours, though? PERFECTION. The color blocking is great -- and I love the button idea. (Now I'm inspired to try another. . . )

Jennifer said...

That is really great! I want one :-D

Pam said...

I knit L'Enveloppe - theoretically this winter -- but it turned out to be spring by the time I finished. I am also enjoying the Noncho concept. Yours is chic!