Wednesday, October 01, 2014

what's going on: itchin' to be stitchin'

aka WIP Wednesday Three knitting projects come to mind as well underway/ high on my enjoyment list. But today? We shall not look at them . We shall look at these:
50/50 silk /cotton, hand dyed in the jar technique and some Perle cotton. It's like embroidery thread, but better.  I never knew it existed till July. That's another WIP story.
The utmost in impulse project. I was in the best new little fabric/maker/handmade supplies shop ever- Clementine in Rockland Maine, with a group of Fiber College teacher friends. Someone said she wanted to play with dyeing this fabric. We egged each other on.  The next thing you know boom boom boom, each of us is out the door with yardage to  dye/ overydye. 

As expected, the silk took the dye but the cotton barely did, and the technique allows you to intentionally create splotches and color shifts--at least that's what I was aiming for. The fabric started as greyish/taupe. I wanted to stay on just this side of tie-dye, if you know what I mean
I was thrilled with how they turned out. Each will be a scarf,  splitting it in half lengthwise, hand sewing a nice felled seam in the middle. So do-able, so simple. Then I thought... sashiko! The running stitch rows I've been Pinning like crazy.  Crazy because I do not need to make this a bigger project. Plus,  I am not known for straight lines, I am a naturally veer-off-course kinda gal. But I can just see it,  I can't resist, and this summer I realized how much I enjoy the handstitching. (that;s another WIP story). I couldn't settle on one color for each scarf, I had to go with two and three...and then I returned home to reality and limited time.  Happily, taking this out to shoot and show you made me realize, it's not that big a deal, and I can't wait to get my hands going on them agan. This may be a FO Friday sooner than I thought. 
A couple more impulse items that came home with me from Maine that week. Can.not.resist. little smooth stones. 
_________________________
Are you showing WIP Wednesday? Leave a link in my comments!

 

11 comments:

Carole said...

We used to carry Perle cotton at the fabric store where I worked. I always loved all the colors but I never actually used it for anything myself. One of my favorite parts of making a quilt is handsewing the binding in place. It's just so lovely to have a brand new quilt in my lap and be sewing that edge.

Mary Lou said...

I thought I would be sewing mine in the hotel room in the evening. Bad light, wrong thread, no luck. Perhaps I was using a rotten brass headed needle.

Ellen Mason said...

Sashiko. Oh yes sashiko.

margene said...

Since I have been an embroiderer since the 70s, I know perle coton very well. Can't wait to see how you embellish your scarves.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

MaryLou- :-)
Margene- I forgot how much I used to love embroidery in high school, and into college--but I guess I walked right past the perle cotton. I love that it doesn't need to be split, and it stands out so sturdily.
Ellen- you are quite responsible for this project. That's all I am saying.

Unknown said...

I love little stones as well, and brought many home with me from Lake Ontario on the Oswego, NY shore this summer. But still not enough of them. Maybe I will take them out to play some more and photograph them too!

twinsetellen said...

I can feel those stones in the hollow of my palm.

Anne aka Sandinmysocks on Ravelry said...

The first photo with the blue, grey and lavender perle cotton, beautiful dyed fabric! Love that combination ♡

Vicki Knitorious said...

Ohhhhh.

Sam said...

Silk will take any dye beautifully, every time. Cotton will tempt you into thinking it will take the dye - maybe it will and maybe it won't. Try washing the cotton first to remove the chemical sizing in it. And make sure it is 100% cotton, the slightest bit of polyester and "no dye for you!". Perle cotton is good, will leave largest holes in the silk. DMC Floss seperated into 3 strands will leave tiny holes. And silk floss will leave no holes. Try "Thistle Needelworks" in Glastonbury for the silk floss.

cal said...

thanks for the reminder that i need to play with some of my dyed loveliness! i'm planning a dress and a scarf. i love your colors and can't wait to see the stitching!