Wednesday, October 29, 2014

BTS: Versaci Knits Kids Photo Shoot

Welcome to another Behind the Scenes. This time,  with Lori Versaci of Versaci Knits.  I am a huge fan of Lori's designs for grownups- I mean, Modern Tunic? Pour Moi? .When she said she wanted me to shoot a collection of kids' sweaters for a book,  I knew the little knits would be spot on, too.
Photo above , captioned later by the mom as "Please, put on the sweater, please. I will buy you a pony tonight if you just. put. on.the. sweater." 

 The photo shoot was in Princeton NJ. I always set up a joint secret Pinterest mood board as we plan, to get the photo juices rolling and define the look. Sometimes you can't articulate what you want--but you know it when you see it. Pinterest is genius for this.
Lori's Pins revealed a love for classic but updated kids' imagery- just like her designs. We chose a historic stone building for the background, kept everything understated and neutral except the knits themselves (oh those saturated Madeline Tosh colors!) and gathered classic kids'toys, and accessories made form natural materials-  leather and straw.
The weather served up a sticky, drizzly day with rumbling clouds and threatening thunderstorm, and our  little 3 year old model wasn't feeling great-- up until the last minute we kind of wondered if the whole shebang was going to be a bust--but then, Boom, it came together. Luckily the building had a wide protected  porch, and the skies opened up (biggger BOOM) in torrents just as we completed the photo shoot. 

VersaciKnits is doing  series of trunk shows and appearances, if you want to catch her. I'm planning to see her at my LYS Knit New Haven next week (yay!). She's teaching a short rows tutorial, which I hope will staunch that feeling I always have on short rows, that I am quite possibly doing them wrong. Or, there's a Better Way.
Lest you think all my photos turn out well--here's an alternative set-up that shows why the background choice matters!

6 comments:

Carole said...

I always like seeing behind the scenes of photo shoots. Nicely done on this one!

Beverly said...

Love the tip on how you use Pinterest for your shoots! And that little boy laughing with his hands in his pockets? Best picture of childhood. Ever!

margene said...

The kids are so cute and the sweater look rockin' cute! Thank you for the lesson on background, too! That's something I mess up all the time.

Ellen Bloom said...

Whoa! Kids and animals are the most difficult to shoot! Bravo for you, Gale. Great job!

Mary Lou said...

Nice to see the fail, too. I love that picture of the boy in the yellow sweater laughing. You and Lori make a great team.

twinsetellen said...

I can just imagine how fun it is to convince little ones to change their clothes so many times and still keep smiling. Great stuff!