Thursday, January 03, 2013

new mitts two mitts

All along I've been knitting,  like a little rattly tune always playing in the background. Every once in a while it's nice to notice the score.556_1212GaleZuckerFV These were supposed to be a Christmas present but that last inch somehow took an extra week. How does such a thing happen?newmittsJan2013 They're custom knit. Don't you love a pair of mitts that fit you like a glove? 
Pattern: Berroco Woodhaven - a good basic  pattern, I like tops that are squared off, not pointy. Just a couple of decrease rounds and then kitchener ending. 
Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino with a touch of Cascade 220 at the cuffs, to match the Honey Cowl from the last post
Needles: size us 6
 543_1212GaleZuckerFV 
The yarn was chosen for its superwash qualities. We've been having rampant accidental feltings Since the laundry police I can't be vigilant at all all the time, the solution is to  minimize the number of shrinkable handknits before they are all...minimized. I have to admit I don't love this yarn. First of all, it's pricey, yet it had a couple of frayed/knotted bits, you can see one in the second photo from top, poking out the right cuff The yarn feels nice but I'm not loving the pooling/flashing. The giftee, though, is quite happy with them, and that's the most important thing.  We're scheming what to do with the rest of the skein.
550_1212GaleZuckerFV 
Leading choice is a hat, paired with the rest of that Cascade 220 skein. Upside: coordinated accessories, breaking away from the handknit bag lady look so often seen 'round these parts. Downside: it'd be at least partially feltable.

8 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Sweet! I don't mind the pooling colors. I do love the bit of green on the edge of the cuff! Excellent photos, of course!

Kathy said...

My husband felted a handknit, handspun hat. Luckily, he has a small head!

twinsetellen said...

Great mitts. The pooling is charming to me, but if not what you wanted, then I understand your disappointment. As mentioned, that edge of green gives them a nice sharpness - while sweet, they don't cloy.

Mary Lou said...

I bet a hat would pool less. They look great, though. And where is the red fish?

Lee said...

They look great! And I love them with the cowl. My return engagement with the Honey Cowl is going to be soon.

BeckyinVT said...

I don't like when my knitting pools but don't mind it on other's projects. I think your mitts look cute!

My husband felts things frequently enough I've considered going the all-superwash route for him. Not sweaters mind you, but lots of accessories have become the wrong size.

Kirsten said...

Do you have enough of the super wash for a headband? You know the type, just enough to keep the the ears warm. Love the photos with the blocks. Fun, fun, fun!

Lori ann said...

i loved your cowl and now these mitts to go with. such beautiful photos of all gale!