Wednesday, January 09, 2013

in which

My most reluctant model shows you the most whack gift to leave my hands in a while. My nephew requested  "one of those hats  with earflaps long enough for hand  pockets".
634_0113GaleZuckerFV 
So I made one.  Dave truly hates to model, especially something as unsubtle as this.
685_0113GaleZuckerFV 
Except it actually turned out kind of cool.  Plus, I said Bobo could be in the photos. Because, you know, nothing enhances an improvised crocheted earflap hat with recycled sweater pockets more than an American Bulldog.
677_0113GaleZuckerFV 
I am particularly pleased with the pockets. They're the cuffs of an old felted sweater, cut open and upside down. The whole shebang is crocheted around with some Cascade Eco. It pulled it all together.*694_0113GaleZuckerFV 
I started with the Vida Chullo pattern, sorta, kinda, and then winged it from there.** The yarns are Cascade Eco Wool in a few colors (the light turquoise main color, and the dark red, and the brown outline. There's also some nice gray and some purple alpaca , brown Valley Yarn Berkshire, and other odds & ends.638_0113GaleZuckerFVIt gives Dave a kind of old surfer hippy look. Which is pretty much his style anyway, minus the surfing, minus the old (don't let the white  beard fool you).  It's really comfy. The pockets will fit my tall nephew just right. The usual 18-22 year olds who can be found here weekends actually approved. Huh. Who woulda thought? 693_0113GaleZuckerFVHad to show  those pockets again. I'm dying to use more of that felted sweater and make myself some mittens with the same edging.
_____________________________________________
* Yes, that is a  The Big Lebowski reference. Tell me the Dude wouldn't wear this hat thingy?
** I crocheted because it goes super fast, and I figured I'd be doing lots of ripping back. Which is so much easier in crochet than in knitting.  My crochet skills, though, are kind of naive.

PS. I tried to do this as a 15 minute blog burst. Ha! Not even close. It takes me that long to decide which photos to use, and another 15 to clean up my spelling & grammar mistakes.

13 comments:

maryse said...

That is awesome. I love it.

Ellen Bloom said...

Yayyy! This is a PERFECT crochet project. You said it, Gale....crochet is much faster, easier and can be more impromptu and creative than knitting. Your colors for this piece are a stand-out! Excellent job!

Laura Nelkin said...

Adore it... I think your Dave secretly wants one of his own!... and so does the dog!

BeckyinVT said...

Those things really are "in" right now, which I don't entirely understand. But if it's comfy, why not? Style should be comfy more often!

Unknown said...

Reluctant or not, Dave totally rocks modeling. So does Bobo.

Manise said...

Reluctant model or not, that one cool hat! Love the unsettled look on his face.

cauchy09 said...

this hat is 100% amazing! i want want want one too.

Marla McLean, Atelierista said...

So cool! I won't let the intended lucky recipient see this post. I am impressed, I just love it.

Ibunnysavetroy said...

I always try to be polite when people tell me they crochet but I have to be honest I look down on it :( I'm crochetist? but it does have it's place in my mind and when you need to rip back alot or do it FAST crocheting is your man.

Ibunnysavetroy said...

he's a good model though! Nice colors!

craftivore said...

Love love both of your models, awesome photo shoot. I've seen a bunch of these hat/scarf/pocket mittens thingies around, so you are very current. Yours turned out great.

Lori ann said...

oh wow. i've never seen anything like this gale, but it makes perfect sense and it's awesome. awesome! your crochet looks excellent to me and your models look pretty good too. :)
quick post? what is that? :)

Lee said...

Awesome! Every teen who walks into my house is wearing a version of this--some in faux fur. You are SO on trend. :)