Monday, July 12, 2010

blogging most fowl

071124
A month? It's been a month? Traveling like a mad woman and working hard to finish shooting the new book has kept me away.
071146
There're over 12,000 images to edit. There have been  heroic efforts from friends in binding off tonnage of wool, mohair, and silk blends. There are the vicissitudes of location photography in steamy weather, or endless sun when you want some light shade.  I've got volumes to share on the subject of recent adventures in quirky craft/knitting/community book production.
071178 
However, these charming ladies and their knitwear will not be in the book. To paraphrase something I read in this NY Times article about people making art to protect abandoned houses in Detroit,:  sometimes the power of an object isn't in its duplication, but in its ability to inspire.
So go design your own birdwear . And be sure to show me.

17 comments:

Kirsten said...

This post made my day. Now I want a chicken to knit for.

Unknown said...

that is one patient chicken!

clairz said...

I guess it was only a matter of time... Millions of knitters, thousands of knitting blogs, and hundreds of knitters' chickens...

maryse said...

what a fun day that was!

Cathy R said...

Is that a chicken? With a HAT on???

I'm at a loss for words. Truly.

Can't wait for the new book.

Kym said...

I wonder if I could knit a hat for my son's parrot (who is. . . becoming MY parrot.. .). I'm pretty sure he'd love a little hat. :-)

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of one of Joseph's fave lines from the George Lopez show,

"Is he drunk?"

"No. But it would make more sense if he were."

I blame the adrenalin.

xox Kay

Erika said...

I made a Chicken Shawl last year, when my chickens were bebehs!

Mary Lou said...

Heat stroke is a terrible thing. Did you really do that to a chicken? I loved the NYT article, too.

gayle said...

Oh, crap. I have chickens. I have yarn. Hmmm...
Maybe with matching legwarmers...

kat said...

LOVE!

Turtle said...

lol, love these pics!

craftivore said...

Silly rooster, why are you wearing a hat? I love the photos, I love the perfect little hat, just love love love. Now he can go off and join the Bremen Musicians.

Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh, I freakin' love that rooster hat. A whole, whole bunch!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, with a comb like that the little cock hardly needs a hat to look sharp.

The hat would work better on a breed with a rosecomb, like say a dominique.

Natalie said...

BOK BOK

chicken in a hat
chicken in a hat

all smiles

Anonymous said...

I am making hats for my chickens. Right. Now. I love this!