Friday, March 04, 2005

pinkitude

What to do with this ball of pink fuzziness?
Its about 1/10 of an ebay yarn faux-pas, purchased last December. The seller said dusty rose, wool mohair blend. In my optimist's mind, I saw subtley colored lace. I received.....this. Don't adjust your monitors. It is to dusty rose as mustard is to egg yolk.


Don't get me wrong, I like pink. In some light, like pale shadows of winter, its candy colored, and on my red kitchen floor its something else.

It appears as pepto bismol on the face of my 14 yo Son Who Won't Wear Wool (but is OK with lying on the floor with it ).

Call it Angry Tonsil or Just Plain Pink, its definitely not lacey. It knits up way too chunky for my imagined shawl. So it sits in the Extra Room. If you live in an old house like ours, with almost no closets, you are very glad to have an Extra Room, even if its small. There we put the things we don't want to deal with, things we don't want to look at, and the fax machine. The bookshelf in it has books we barely acknowledge, such as copies of Bed & Breakfast Inn books I photographed in the late 80's & early 90's (uselessly out of date), and a rug that a visiting sister spilled patchouli oil on many years ago. It still gets aromatic at the right temperature.

I can usually close the door and walk by but tomorrow, my father-in-law is coming for a visit. In the morning, I must turn the Extra Room into the Guest Room. I don't like cleaning & tidying. For starters, I am contemplating the pink.

1 comment:

ashayne said...

Hello Gale! Having two boys, pink is totally foreign to me. It makes me a little nervous, frankly. Have you swatched up some lace in your pinkypink? It might be less pinkypink if the pattern is really open. Or it might not.

Your blog is terrific--so happy to have found it, and all your fantastic photographs. Such noble sheep! It's pretty obvious that you are, um, a professional.