Monday, March 02, 2009

larger than they appear

0309swirl09
Swirl Neckwarmer
design by Sarah Chilson
yarn: Berroco Peruvia
memo to self: next time read through the whole pattern before buying yarn. At the shop I fell for Peruvia Quick. The salesperson correctly told me to walk away and buy regular Peruvia, worsted, the weight the pattern called for. Back home I learned I'd be knitting Swirl entirely with two strands held together...guess what? Peruvia Quick is two strands of Peruvia plied together loosely. Doh!
needles: size us11. Because I misplaced my 10.5's.
notes: a gift for my bff (seriously, since we were 11 or so), she's a larger person than I am. When I tried it on my neck at the cast off point it felt a little chokey . I kept on knitting. I was loving the ooooh cuuushiness of brioche stitch in this yarn now that I had it under control , so I went a few inches more, and then a little more. Now it's a buttoned scarflet instead of a neckwarmer on me. That doesn't mean it's any less lovable. I had a ridiculously good time crocheting those scallops,and plopping on big buttons. Such a satisfying finish to the piece. I hope she likes it.

With a nasty snowstorm pending, my sister and I decided to take a hike up a local city landmark late Saturday.
0309famvar_  019Maybe it was the gathering storm, or the fact that my main other weekend activities were taxes and book keeping but everything seemed so heavy. Even the signs along the way. Metaphor, anyone?
0309famvar_  026

9 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Your friend will love that you knit that for her!

Anonymous said...

Oooh that neckwarmer looks so comfy!!

Ellen Bloom said...

Love the idea of the crocheted scallops for buttonholes. Brilliant! I'm thinking this might make a perfect turban too! There you go...you just invented two uses for this giant piece!

Anonymous said...

Love the neck warmer.

Signs and Portents: One of my favorite photos I've ever taken is from the Japanese garden at the Irish National Stud.

In the garden is something called the "Tunnel of Ignorance". Just next to the sign with the name is another sign that says "Caution: Dark Tunnel".

Profound? or just safety managers run amuck?

Birdsong said...

Just the thing for the nasty weather we are getting on both sides of the country! I wonder if the signs aren't a reflection of these heavy times...

Mary Lou said...

Love how it turned out. And I never read anything thru until it's too late. Like a dessert I was doing to make to bring to a friends house and the second step was "24 hours ahead of baking...." oops. I did taxes Saturday, too. Fun fun fun

Angie said...

Your Swirl looks very cozy and pretty.

gayle said...

That looks warm and cozy. Who wouldn't love that beauty? Congratulations on conquering the brioche stitch.
Those signs make your hike sound like a challenge...

Anonymous said...

Lots of big steps out there for everyone, right? Funny thing is that I'm finding myself recommending fine gauge knitting to friends who are cash strapped these days. I suppose there's a metaphor for getting out of this with lots of little steps, but I think it's also going to take some mega-leaps.