Saturday, March 15, 2008

things are turning up

The socks I finished for Dave last month decided to make their whereabouts known.
GZucker0308_412
the details:
A hybrid pattern. I loved the broken rib stitch texture of Thuja but prefer my standard 48 stitch worsted weight sock template from the Yankee Knitter Classic Socks pattern.
The yarns are Lambs Pride Superwash 100% wool, worsted weight for the main part, and some Artyarns Supermerino for the toes and heels. That Lambs Pride Superwash makes an excellent sock yarn but I'm not sure I would have been able to squeeze a pair out of one skein of the Lambs Pride if I hadn't switched out for the toes/heels.

My personal theory on why these socks reappeared after being unfindable since I completed them in Colombia? I believe they took pity on me. I have so many unfinished, almost completed , troubled projects scattered around this joint that I am beside myself. A little clutter is good for creativity but I've crossed over, project-wise, into distraction.

By contrast, I visited my 22 year old nephew's apartment in NY this week. Remember when life was simpler?
GZucker0308_402

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely socks; I'm glad they decided to come home.

Hey-I have an almost 24 year old nephew in NYC. I wonder if they know each other. :)

Carole Knits said...

Looks like he's got his priorities straight.

Mary Lou said...

yeah, but we had those bottles of chianti in baskets with a candle stuck in them.

Debbie D said...

Ah, to be 22 again.


Love the socks. Great colors

Kay said...

Ah, remembering when the lived-in look was the drinked-in look.

You should send the pic to Apartment Therapy (or Apartment Rehab).

xo Kay

Sunflowerfairy said...

OOF. I do remember those days. Or atleast, some of them.

Pretty socks. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! That apt photo gave me a good giggle!

Nice socks.

craftivore said...

Wine and a place to crash, what more do you need?

Love the socks. Maybe you haven't been feeding your house brownie.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Oh yes, I do remember that early simplicity. The one table that served for all meals and crafting. Only one chair in the tiny front room, and a rug that DH stitched together with the bits from the back of a carpet store with a curved needle he was given by the man who ran the shop. The sweet days of youth and the kindness of older people who knew what it was like to be living on a thread.

Congrats on getting your E. That is so deserved. And, the photo of the rainbow is beautiful as are the scarf and socks.