Thursday, November 10, 2005

literally laced

Having recovered my senses, I finished the Laceup Fingerless Mitts and went silk ribbon shopping. Its entirely possible I chose to make these because of the ribbon.
ribbon
I wasn't sure what color I was looking for but when I saw it, knew this was the one. I don't have to look far to figure out my inspirationcolors I mean, really, how literal am I? Look for red on Valentine's Day and green in the spring...
done
The colors appear faded in this image, they're richer in real life
pattern: from Alterknits
yarn: some heavy-ish mystery wool boucle I've had here for a while (no label but very soft after blocking)

Score one more for Nona's knitalong. My next Peaceful Palms are going to be different than these. And even more literal.

Also score almost one more for my holiday gift list. I decided to accessorize these with the leftover yarn. A scarf came out so ugly (how ugly? so ugly I couldn't bear to photograph, so ugly even having gorgeous Hanah hand dyed silk ribbon woven through its dropped stitches didn't help. That ugly.) I started a hat, with a laceup vent echoing the mitts. I knitted it top down not knowing how much yarn I have left. It came out ginormous and blob-like at 98 stitches around, so I ripped it back to the top at the part where I'd only increased to about 80 stitches. It had this odd flume at the top the first time around. But I did something funky when I picked up the stitches.hatstart and now, I seem to be knitting a miniaturized tent for Cirque Du Soleil.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I kind of dig the hat....I would TOTALLY wear it. Best of luck in finishing :)

Tracy Batchelder said...

Beautiful ribbon!

Anonymous said...

I love the ribbon, and you know, that style of hat is very hot these days...

Nothing wrong with a little Cirque du Soleil. That's a hell of a lot swankier than Cirque du Barnum et Bailey...

Anonymous said...

Nerd!

(but thanks for signing our nerdy autograph book; there was a little run of feet pictures....)

I love the ribbon and I love that it doesn't match but instead goes perfectly. xoxo Kay

Anonymous said...

Great job with your Laced Up fingerless gloves -- they turned out beautifully. You choice of ribbon is perfect and makes the gloves!

itgirl said...

They look great! I can only hope mine look decent, and yours look gorgeous!

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

Gale - they're lovely! I just found your blog through Nona and ended up going through your archives. Your photography is wonderful. xox,